Blathering

How come in school we weren't allowed to copy eachother. We were not allowed to steal ideas, to draw the same picture, to tell the same story.. Sometimes we did copy and we always felt ashamed. Now, in adult life it's allowed, it's called sharing. Or getting an idea. And I do so get that! Ideas are great! I just don't understand why in school it's called cheating and in real life it's a free for all.. I do this too.. Not too long ago I went to someones house and saw an ottoman that I HAD to have. I said where did you get that? How much was it? And I went and bought it... Could have cared less that I was "copying" her. The thing about it is this person and I have a very similar aesthetic appreciation... So maybe that's why I didn't feel odd about being a Copycat..(that's the word I am looking for) Because here is my true confession I get sharing I get trying But I think stealing does still exist But that's a matter of the heart Impossible to prove Does it even matter Maybe to the person being copied Maybe not Goodness, we can't all be original can we? We're just humans! But do I want my daughter to use her own ideas( what does that even mean anyway), not to copy another's. I want her to have original thought. To think "well, I like that persons idea, but is it me? Is it mine? Could I find a better way? Am I trying to be like someone else? Does this stuff matter? Maybe not But I think there may be people that try so hard to be like this or like that, that they lose their honest understanding of themselves .. And I think we all need an honest understanding of ourselves Don't we? Now I'm really on a tangent.. Do we ever really see ourselves for who we actually are? Or does that take a life time. I was jut thinking of someone I know who often seems like they sum up themselves very different then anyone else would on the outside . But, arnt we all like that. Do I see myself perfectly? Absolutely not. Sometimes we have moments of clarity I think,I hope. Sometimes I am astounded by how simple and common we all are. Even truly fabulous interesting people still have their common boring parts.

No comments:

Post a Comment