i confess

i've been addicted to the news lately
none of it is good
none of it is fun
none of it is just

there is a wide world of turmoil and pain oozing through the seams of my content North American life..

i've been surprised and sickened mostly
does any one else out there stay on top of this stuff?
i'm not saying that you should
what is the point of reading the news daily anyway?

there is just one story I cannot seem to get my head around
not sure if you heard about the crazy pastor in Florida who burnt a Koran..?
OK - so he burnt a Koran... why? who knows
the problem is that the Muslim world finally got wind of this singular act by some singular
person who happens to live in a free country
and they are hysterical and revengeful
and killing innocent people all over the place since finding this out...
I am serious -its been like 4 days of their wide spread protest against this one act a million miles away.
should anyone burn religious paraphernalia?
not sure
should any innocent person unrelated to an aggressive act against a religious book die because of it?
to me the rage displaying itself in these Muslim communities over this singular act is a sign of a few things-
their beliefs do not center around peace or peace making
their upbringing and culture does not teach rational acceptance of those that are different
their environment is causing, creating, and allowing for grossly aggressive behavior
they are probably unemployed
they have probably never been around people of other cultures in a safe and cooperative environment

here's the thing
I know and you know a whole bunch of people from other countries and cultures. and so what? Do I think my beliefs are right? of course I do or I wouldn't believe them or wrap every ounce of my life around them.. do I think other people are right? no. I honestly don't think other beliefs are right.. so yes, I am pretty extreme. I am like these Muslim people. But the Faith i have teaches me to Love and Forgive and Be Kind. That is my Law.
The Law of Love trumps every other fear or hate or desire to judge.
I must Love. I must not hate. I must not kill. I must not have rage in my heart. I must be free.

(I would like to add here that I know plenty of Muslim people that are happy and peaceful and educated and giving and accepting)

If God is Good and God is Love then what would his Law be?
I am utterly confused and overwhelmed by the caos of hate witnessing against itself

1 comment:

  1. I agree. I do not understand. Nor do I understand "Christians" who kill abortionists for example and feel justified, believe in the death penalty, or perpetuate racial hate etc. People have, and always will use religion to prop up their own opinions, to further their own causes, and to justify their own opinions.

    Truly peace only comes when we are willing to subjugate our mind and thoughts and heart to the Will of God. And the Will of God, as I know it to be, is as you said, a law that requires us to love our neighbour AND our enemies, to do good to those that despitefully use and persecute us, to forgive 70 x 7 each day.

    ReplyDelete