front page of the paper today- and some blathering

so i never read the paper
for obvious reasons:
if something is really really important I will hear it by word of mouth or
yahoo
and frankly I can have better days not knowing about all the creeps and suffering in the Universe
but today
I read a blurb about some teenage chicks having a gang fight (or whatever you wanna call it)
and I thought that was ugly etc.
but it unfortunately reminds me a lot of my high school days
where fighting and being tough was really cool
I can remember many a time that some "butches"
from the school across the street came over and wanted to fight
One time 5 of them came over to fight me
I was terrified
I was wearing Birkenstocks and a peace sign
and got out of it
they wanted to fight me because I would not date the "leaders" best friend (a guy named Josh)

In the same year I had a large girl butch try and beat me up for the same reason- I would not date her friend (a guy named Adam), and she thought that I was rude to him, - that time I had to get some back up...(in other words- get a bigger girl to tell her to leave me alone)

Looking back, I am exceptionally lucky
I never once actually had to defend myself with actual muscle or lack of
(well once in grade 5- but that is another story)

I have only one memory of things going bad in this department and it involved me trying to rationalize with a very drunk person as to why she should stop yelling and threatening people and she took her very large glass mug and round housed(is that still a word) me across the face to which I saw stars and blacked out..
and then i stopped talking to her
and probably ran away crying
not sure

why am i telling these stories?
because they are real and a bit dumb
because girls are a wee crazy sometimes
because I find it interesting that no one comments on any stories that arn't fluffy and happy

4 comments:

  1. Boys throw punches and maybe blacken each others eyes. They walk away and are friends again next week. Girls hiss and snarl and claw and it goes on and on and on.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like I just narrowly escaped the whole phenomena of girls unleashing their lack of regard for their own kind physically as opposed to the more traditional back-stabbing, cattiness and manipulation.

    Obviously I know that women have been violent in history before, but it seems like the years after I graduated, girls beating up other girls became a more frequent news item.

    I feel totally lucky to have avoided this scenario. I would not have fared well in any kind of conflict requiring a mean right hook.

    I had hoped that this was a stupid phase though and that girls were over trying to assert themselves with fists. I hope my daughter never experiences it... although you know what they say about sticks and stones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved your story.
    I punched a girl in the face and gave her a bloody nose (in grade 8), after months and months and months of listening to her ridicule me and my best friend. I still feel to this day that it was well deserved and I would do it again in a heart beat.
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  4. K- dying laughing over here!..

    ReplyDelete